Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Why I Don't Use Twitter



As my twenties go by, the biggest lesson in life I have learned is that time fucking FLIES.

You quickly discover that days are incredibly short. An hour? It feels like a minute. It's a frightening feeling to wake up one morning and realize there is simply not enough time in the day to do all the things you want to do.



And my generation is the guinea pig of this life discovery, mixed in with the revolution of the Internet.

Because not only does time fly for us in real life, it shoots by us from all angles in the virtual world. It's mind-boggling.

My head is racing all day. I have so many thoughts and so many to-do lists and so many ideas stored in my head, dangerously brewing together, creating a time bomb.



It is for this reason alone that I simply cannot handle twitter.

Most of you know that you can't go to twitter for 30 seconds without the entire page refreshing, with new tweets. Time defies physics in Twitterland, because it literally does go faster. News is more than instantaneous. It's already five seconds behind you.



I'm going to sound really mean right now and I don't care. But I think the worst thing about twitter is not that it's too much news, too fast. It is simply too much brain shit too fast.



People go on Twitter because they think people truly care that they're eating a salad for lunch. For some reason, they want the entire world to know that they're sitting at the Most Boring Stoplight In The World. And they tweet this crap ALL DAY LONG. It clogs my newsfeed, filtering out the actual news.

It is human nature to feel we are the center of the world. We crave attention. We are born egotistical. But believe it or not, the world does not revolve around you. Twitter dangerously feeds people this unrealistic idea though.

Instead of actually living life, there are millions of people who spend practically every minute of every day tweeting about it to other people, who in turn are tweeting their life to them. It's a never-ending cycle of people who want attention requesting it from other people who want attention.



It's too exhausting and ridiculous for me to handle.

So, I stay away from my twitter page. I get news alerts on my phone, so I'm properly updated when a famous person unexpectedly dies or if a natural disaster has created chaos. I can see status updates on Facebook, to inform me of my friends' important life events. I have my blog, so I can milk my ego, without forcing it on the world every five seconds.

Of course, I still have my twitter page. If it's the easiest way for you to contact me, use it. I'll get an e-mail telling me to go there. That's not a big deal. That's pretty much all I use twitter for anyway.

But don't expect me to give a damn about your salad.

I don't have time for that shit.

No comments:

Post a Comment